Monday, October 14, 2019

Alasthor Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

I have formed Alasthor back in 2003, in Belgium. Before this, in the mid 90's, I have formed "Punishment" and "Baptism in fire" and we have shared stages with bands like Dark funeral, Enthroned, Vader, ...

So after the split of these bands, I had the desire to make a comeback into black metal. From there Alasthor has done lots of concert in Belgium, France, Nederlands, ... this time with bands like Cirith gorgor or our friends from Bestial Mockery. The band has known a hiatus between 2006 and 2017. I have rebooted the band alone. Since then, in 2018, Styx has arrived as the new permanent lead vocalist.


2.Recently you have released a new ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

It is more raw, more « simple » and a little bit « more in nostalgic mood» in a certain way... knowing that I am a a big fan of so-called « depressive black metal ». The point was to release something inspired by the 70's rock and roll... for sure, you can't hear nothing like this ahah. But it has inspired me. I had in mind the song « not to touch the earth » from The Doors. Also having a band like Nargaroth in mind, I have for the first and only time produce these songs without a bass guitar. It was an experience and I am happy about it. The songs were composed since 2016 ! I have waited to find the right singer. A bad one can ruin your songs.


3.From 2005 to 2018 there was no music being released, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?

First of all we have broken for personal reason. At the time my father have died... he died while we have played our last concert ever. Not at the concert but during it. I have found zero support from my band mates who were also supposed to be my friends.

Also, I have gone to work hard on a daily job until I am became a kind of top manager.

I have also found the time to write 2 books about the Left Hand Path. The left Hand Path is also a source of my come back into the black metal... it has aspire me. Back in the 90's and in the early 2000, I was involved into black metal in a way that doesn't exist anymore... it was a daily life style. And I think that when you have lived on this path... you always be a part of this path as this path will always be a part of you.
I am forgetting I have created and played in a industrial metal band named X10 that have played everywhere in Europe too... I was the main composer and the guitar player on stage.


4.A lot of your lyrics go into Satanism, Left hand Path, Aghori, and Magick themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?

The point is about « to do his best to be as free as possible ». We have to endure human rules, laws, boundaries, we are imprisoned in a mortal body, we have to « respect » and to accept traditions, education, ... But wait a minute... we have to... to nothing ! Who are we without all the boundaries ? The left hand path is a lifetime quest. This is long, hard and dangerous. This is everything but easy. It asks you to read lots of books, to practice mantra and rituals, to take risks, ... In the past, I was « a basic satanist ». I was enclosed into a simple hate against christianity. But with my serious studies and research I have changed and most of all I have evolved to a more constructive way. I have searched what was more authentic, infiltrated... «pure» than childish hate. So even if I stay my 2 feet into a kind of luciferism-satanism « antinomic oriented person», I find a deeper spirituality with the aghori monks, their practice, godesses Kali, Tara, ... They live their spirituality, this isn't about being a poser like all these pathetic liars speaking on internet about their fantasies like if it was « pragmatic » truth.

About my practice I can speak about one error I have made : into the Luciferian order of chaos, I had banned the banishment rituals... as it was about being « extreme ». It was a mistake... Don't do that...

5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?

I want my lyrics to be as sincere and deep as my music is ; without any filter.

So our lyrics are about LHP, Aghora, Aghori, Kali, satanism, antinomic figures as Lucifer, Satan, Qayin, ... also speak about the Serpent : Samael, Nahash (נָחָשׁ), ... I keep and breed snakes so I study snakes on a daily basis. Spirituality is in books but not only.

We also speak about a form a satanism inspired from the current 218.

Lyrics are not about only fantasies... How many so-called « satanist s» speak about destroying the whole Demiurge creation for a return to the Plemora or to the primordial chaos of the waters of Thiamat and they have never had a single problem with the human justice ? They have never seen a judge face to face... How many ones sing about the snake and never have seen a real one eyes on eyes just one time for 5 minutes ? I tell you, this is not the case with my lyrics nor with my band !


6.The main songwriter for the band also has books on the Left Hand Path that where released by 'Fall Of Man Publishing', can you tell us a little bit more about the novels you have released so far?

It is about the Left Hand Path, my practice, my views, my studies, and pictural art...

One is « Path of atavistic violence » and the other one is « The luciferian order of chaos manifest », as I was the fondling member of it.

So the first one is about rituals and chaos magic by and through pictural art. The second one is the Manifest of the Luciferian order of chaos since then splitted. It contains essays, rituals, prayers, ... It was a dark time of my life where the whole point was about destruction, annihilation and to promote spiritual violence and destruction, physical violence... a total void of negativity mixed with a rebellion supposed to leads you to a certain form of freedom. If you are able to read between the lines and to take « what you need », it stills relevant nowadays.


7.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Alasthor'?

I was in Mexico at the time, I was gone with my « dictionnaire du diable» ( devil dictionary) by Roland Villeneuve and I was thinking about the creation of Alasthor. So I have found this « cool » name into the book. It was « Alastor » without the « h ». I added a letter because one « Alastor » was already formed. Alastor is a executionner who serves the devil.


8.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that was presented on the ep cover?


It is an animal skull viewed from the downside. My studio which is also my deskroom is also a kind of curiosity cabinet... animals bones, world war 2 artifacts, 200 years old books, statues ... So it was just under my hands. If you look at it right, it looks like Moloch... The Canaanite idol to whom children were sacrificed. He is also the "co-ruler" of the qliphoth (a part of the tree of death) named "Thaumiel" with Satan.

9.Currently there are only 2 members in the band but had other members in the past, are you open to expanding to a full line up again or do you prefer to remain a duo?


I play music since childhood... so for 27 years (I was 12). I have played with more or less 60 other musicians. I have no patience anymore for managing ego of others. My concern is about music. Do I want to do live shows ? Maybe yes BUT only in what I call « good conditions » : perfect sound on stage, perfect sound in front, a decent light show... I don't want a crazy amount of money for being able to buy a big car BUT I don't want to pay for playing like do all these hookers I hear about. Just good and honest conditions I have known 15 years ago. But as I play well every instrument, mix and record... no other member is needed for producing music. About vocals, Styx is perfect, a great addition to the band, he works really hard... really no other person is needed,

10.Back when there where more members did you do any live shows and if so, which one was the most memorable?


We have done lots shows... Several were great... Lille in France, we were supposed to be beaten by 20 guys with chains regarding threats so we came with guns, Méan festival first edition... nearly on fight with organizers onstage in front of more than 500 persons, Nederlands with Bestial Mockery and Master Motorsåg with his chainsaw in the middle of a commercial street, the one we have played in front of thousand of people during a traditional festivity protected by the UNESCO... shock state ahah... There is not one but definitely several.

11.Currently the band is unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


We are in search of a label, yes. No serious proposition for now. We have an album nobody could imagine it comes from us... so we count on it for being a key about this searching.

12.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Really great, really good ! I think as every bands we have a few fingers down on youtube but a very few. We have made spam in a way I can't describe... so lots of people have seen this. Can you imagine that since 2017, 3 E.P, 2 or 3 videos... and we never have a single negative comment ? In this world of haters ? I think it speaks for itself... what could I add ?

13.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


We have an LP half finished about recording, mixing and mastering. 100/100 of the LP is already composed, lyrics included. Winter will be about recording of the second part. So we hope to be signed next year and to release it also next year. With our without a label, it will be release in 2020.

Where we go with our music style ? The E.P is a goodbye to our raw side, to our « underground sounding ». The album of 2020 already sounds massive, it is a solid production. Since years we only release song that have 2 or 3 years of existence... these song are late regarding what we are able to produce. So the next album will be more violent, more fast, more mystical and more extreme. About production and music, I speak about our influences : Arkhon infaustus, Dark funeral, (old)Satyricon, Gorgoroth, ... As a sound engineer, it is the place where I wanted to arrived since ever. I really do believe that what we have done can't let anybody imagine what will do... this month or in November, we will release the very last song of the past, before going to the next step of the Alasthor's path.

14.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Influences : Nine inch nails, Mayhem, Horna, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Immortal, Satyricon, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Nargaroth, Burzum, Mgla, Thy darkened shade, Funeral mist, Antaeus, Pantera, ...

Nowadays : Cult of fire, Nightbringer, Magoth, Gardsghastr, Vargrav, ...

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? of haters ? I think it speak in itself... what could I add ?

I just have to thank you for the support and I to thank everybody that supports Alasthor.

There is no importance that somebody loves us or not, loves our music or not today. Because I know that right now at home, I can push "play" on things we are the only ones to know and that it will be released next year with zero possible comparison with what people know from us. This is in fact what I want to say as a conclusion, think about Alasthor next year. This is an appointment.


WxTen

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment