Saturday, May 2, 2020

Ruadh Interview


JL- 1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?

TP - After the recording of the new album I have pretty much moved on to writing the next album, it never really stops, especially with isolation, it provides more time to create.

JL - 2.You have a new album coming out in May, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
TP - It is very different, it's more melodic and more thought out with a central theme running through the tracks where as Sovereign was me really finding my feet with Ruadh. I am very proud of what Sovereign is but The Rock of the Clyde is a much better album to my ears.
The folk influences and the softer passages and breaks are so much more controlled and full of purpose.

JL - 3.Your lyrics also cover the history and mythology of Scotland, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
TP - I have always loved history and mythology ever since I was around 16 / 17 years old. My love of Tolkien was a gateway drug into the real history and Mythology of Europe and always having a strong national Scottish identity it became a bit of a love affair later on.
I am fascinated with the pre history of Scotland, before Alba with Dal Riata, Pictland and of course the Alt Clut or (The Rock of the Clyde) and just how much of that history has been washed away through years of self deprecation and lack of value in ourselves. Scotland has a sickness where
a lot of the population wish to be English and the other ones want to be Irish and especially in the central belt of Scotland these issues are prevalent.

JL - 4.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
TP - I gave the artist a simple brief which was something like Iron age Scotland in Autumn and it needs have Dumbarton rock and then Joan made that fantastic artwork on the back of that, the guy is magnificent and a great guy to boot, I highly recommend him.

JL  - 5.On the albums you also record everything by yourself but have experience working with a line up for the live shows, do you prefer working solo over working with a band in the studio?
TP  - It was never a masterplan to go it alone, it was the only way I could finish the first album. Ruadh has had 3 different names and a few different members before it became what it is, I got sick of waiting on other people to be as enthusiastic as I was about the project so I did it myself.
There's a lot to be said for working with a band and working on ideas as a group but there are amazing benefits to having free reign and creative control in every aspect too, I think at the risk of sounding a bit arrogant I prefer the latter.


JL   6.The new album is going to be self released while your previous album was released by 'Northern Silence Productions, are you open to working with another label again in the future?
TP - The new album is also released through NSP, I release it digitally on my own as I always have through RED GLEN PRODUCTIONS which is my own label.
Northern Silence still have a working relationship with Ruadh for 1 more album after this too.

JL 7.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
TP Honestly I'm humbled by the response, people ordering the merch and CD's from all over the world and spending their hard earned money on my project, I couldn't ask for more.

JL  8.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
TP - I can't really answer this, I love what I do and I'll keep developing in until I no longer do, Ruadh is a lot of fun and extremely rewarding work most of the time.

JL 9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
TP - My musical taste is vast and a little eclectic. I listen to the obvious stuff like Windir, Bathory, Burzum and Emperor and have done for years, but I'm also fond of EBM like VNV Nation and Assemblage 23 and a lot of film and game soundtracks.
Currently I've been listening to Panopticon A lot and The Birthday Massacre, that should give you an idea of just how odd my music taste really is.

JL 10.What are some of your non musical interests?
TP - Sport is massive with me, I love Celtic FC, Scotland FA, San Francisco 49ers and the Anaheim Ducks,  I also enjoy to play games mostly RPG's classic and modern from Final Fantasy to the Witcher.

JL 11.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

TP - Thanks a for including me in your feature and I wish you all the best in the future.
Also, thanks to everyone who has purchased an album or merch from me, It's super appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment