Thursday, November 28, 2013

Entfremdung Interview



1. Can you tell us a little bit about the musical project for those that have never heard of you before?
There isn’t much to tell.  It is a bedroom project.  I rarely play but when I do I record the results.  Mostly each track is written and recorded in the space of a couple of evenings.  If it sounds bad and fucked up I don’t care –it is just a cathartic exercise for me.  I found playing the guitar a good substitute for self-injury and substance abuse.  It has helped me get over those things.

2. I have seen the musical project being labeled as communist/occult black metal, can you tell as a little bit more about it and also how would you describe your views on Occultism and Communism?
I read some stuff on occult influences during the Russian Revolution.  There is also a book called ‘Marx and Satan’ written by a Romanian priest which gave me some good ideas.  He believed Marx was above all else a Satanist and sets out his evidence for it.  Of course I see this as a good thing.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with both demo's?
I took the lyrics from poetry.  My sources were Mayakovsky, Valari Bruissov, Louis Aragon and Marx's early (Satanist) poetry.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Entfremdung?
Entfremdung means 'alienation' or 'estrangement' in German.  Marx used the term in a political sense but it has a wider meaning too.

5. Currently there is only 1 member in the project, is it hard for you to find people that have the same visions as you music wise?
I guess so.  I haven't tried.  It's quite a private process.  I don't feel like having other people involved.

6. Currently the musical project is unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I've talked with one label but, to be honest, I can't see the point in releasing anything I've recorded so far through a label.  

7. Are there any other musical projects besides this band?
No.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
It's hardly been noticed at all.  A few people have contacted me and given good feedback.  I am glad those people can access and relate to what I have created.  That is enough for me.  I expect everyone else would hate what I do.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I don't know.  Hopefully just... better.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Some of my favourite black metal bands at the moment are Sentimen Beltza and Mourning Forest.  I really like the Quebecois scene too.  Akitsa and Forteresse especially.  Also the Black Twilight Circle and raw underground French bands like Breizh Occult.  Outside of black metal, I listen to lots of other genres. Especially Finnish and Japanese punk.

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I like to read.  I'm interested in history, philosophy, politics and literature.  Other than that... sex, nature, travel, food.  Everything else bores the shit out of me. 

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview? 

No comments:

Post a Comment