Monday, November 11, 2013
1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. Winterfiend was created because I am constantly writing and recording music and I sometimes like being secluded from everything so with it being a solo project I am free to do whatever I please.
2.How would you describe the musical sound of this project and also how does it differ music wise from the other musical projects/bands, you are a part off?
2. The sound is fairly raw, I try not to put too much time into the sound quality yet I don't strive to make it more disgusting than it really is for example, I don't spend any extra time dialing in the effects or adding in any trickery during the mixing or mastering. I use a cheap multi effects pedal and a digital 8 track and like to keep things as simple as possible as I find with other projects that I am in, I will mess with levels far too much. As far as the drums go, are done using computer software but they are completely mine as in there are no pre-programmed beats.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the current demo?
3. Although it is called Vampiric Intentions, there isn't much talk of actual vampires, it's more based on my idea of darkness and a subterranean evil that exists in my mind. Most of the lyrics are from dreams.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Winterfiend?
4. I absolutely adore the Winter months and wanted a name that would reflect my love for the season.
5.Currently you are the only member in the project, do you feel you have a lot more room being solos with this project?
5. Absolutely, there are no boundaries when I am writing or with the artwork, and for the most part I am just making it to entertain myself so it's great being able to do exactly what comes to mind.
6.Recently Depressive Illusions put your demo out on Cassette, can you tell us a little bit more about it?
6. Depressive Illusions is an amazing label and Sergiy is a very kind and dedicated person to be putting all that music out non-stop. If possible I would like to work exclusively with Depressive Illusions with this project, I like the limited quantities but yet he puts out a quality product.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
7. It seems to be going pretty well so far, I've gotten much more feedback about it than I expected and the likes keep coming so I'm glad other people enjoy it.
8.What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
8. My other project Skógr, with Thorfinn from Cyhiraeth is doing amazingly well and we just put out our first full length with Humanity's Plague Productions and I feel like there are many more releases to come. Noctuam is more or less on hold at the moment and I don't really have much else to say about that one.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. I would like to stick with the same style but at the same time improve it any way I can. Eventually I would like to get a better bass since mine is quit a disaster, it only has 3 strings and I'm too poor to go get new ones and the bridge pickup is missing because apparently a friend needed it more than me.
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Mutiilation has been a huge influence for this project, especially "Destroy Your Life For Satan" Some of his guitar parts are absolutely amazing and the drums sound like they should, robotic and fake which is a good thing, he isn't hiding anything, also I enjoy Angmar and Annthennath, any band Welkin is in is pretty much perfect, his bass lines are so good. Lately I have been listening to a lot of old Burzum and Occultus (France) and Nordreich among many others.
11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?
11. There is a slight interest in it but my main influences are dreams and my imagination. It's possible that there may be more influence from it in the future as I am very interested in such things.
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
12. I like to watch a lot of movies rather it be Horror or Comedy and I also enjoy reading although my attention span won't allow it most of the time.
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
13. I plan on putting out another Winterfiend release sometime soon but haven't started writing yet and thanks to all the people supporting underground music.
Thanks again for getting in touch, I greatly appreciate it and this was a pretty cool experience. Best regards. - Atrum