Sunday, November 17, 2013

WorstGod Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the musical project? Hail! WorstGod is a black metal project (hope a full band in the future) from Ireland. Founded by myself around 2010, and still somewhere in the basements. There is no big story behind, it had to be a side project to release anger by the sound. Then became a full-time studio project. And that actually it.
2.How would you describe the musical sound of the 3 releases you have put out so far and also how do they differ from each other?
Well, it’s harsh, raw and noisy. In the european way of being harsh and raw. And also melodic, I think. Music evolved. So sound too. When I was recording a 2011 demo, everything was fresh, including myself. I was never work with sounds like that before in the studio. Now it sounds weak, but back then it was top of my possibilities. Next EP was great experience, I had two guest musicians, so could focus on the technical side of production. I think musically it’s way better than debut, but production still sucks, instruments sometimes hide, and vocals as well. And the last one I did solo again, but asked friend of mine for mix and small mastering. And I think it was best way to keep work clear. The music sounds stronger.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with your music so far?
It’s a conceptual type of writing. It includes all aspects, even name of a project. Take a look at the christian bible. Christian god is most morderous motherfucker I’d ever seen, don’t you think? So, in the lyrics I trying to be at his place and playing with my creation. Destroying, killing, mutilating. I am god, so I can haha. And as said, the WORST GOD is fucking the worst one. I think it’s kinda antireligious. Not satanic, there’s not even word about satan. One god himself is enough for hundreds of demons.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name WorstGod?
The meaning I explained in previous answer, I hope. But inspiration has more roots. The first metal band I was playing in had name Children Of The Worse God. After split, and couple of year after, I said, why worse? Get Worst. Just to show some connection. Guys weren’t happy but fuck them. It’s different music, different lyrical theme, different spirit.
5.Are there any other members currently involved with this project or is it still completely solo?
It’s solo, but sometimes I ask friends about some help, because why not. I don’t feel like evil black metal misanthropist. If I feel, that someone can do something better than me, I just ask. But I am a fucking tyrant then. Everything has to be in accordance to my ideas. It is not so enjoyable for others, I know that. But hey, my band, my rules haha probably that’s why it’s solo project.
6.Have you received any label interest for this musical project?
Yes, one or two asked me about release it, but does anyone really need it? You can download it for free in best quality and burn yourself a cdr. It’s not about being “kult” and “trv”. It’s fucking reality. If you like my music, get it for free, and buy yourself pack of cigarettes, or something for that cash. I’m ok with that. I have a regular job, so any musical project I work with is only a hobby.
7.On one of your recordings you had a cover of a Bathory song, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
Yes, indeed. Bathory has that primeval energy in its music. You hear it and you know it’s Quorthon. There’s not so many bands to tell the same about. I was a huge fan of Bathory since I heard “Blood Fire Death” long time ago. I still am. I won’t say, there’s no better band around. No. But beside Venom it’s only classic extreme band, I can listen every day, and never get bored. And why “13 candles”? I think, that lyrics correspond with WorstGod’s concept. I had planned EP with covers of classic rock bands. Likes Kiss, Status Quo, ZZ Top even. It’s still in plan, but there are more important things to do. I have done “13 candles”, and it’s enough at the moment.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Not to bad, I think. People have some problems with polish language I used, and sometimes I need to explain some parts. I send some cds to Asia, Southern America, but definitely european countries take attention. And is downloadable. Plenty of copies been downloaded, but I don’t know from where, and if they like it.
9.Are you involved with any other musical projects or bands besides this one?
Yes, I’ll tell you more, WorstGod at it’s beginning was a another-side-project-between-others. My main thing is Nocturn Inferi, which oscillates from dark ambient to neo-folk, with whole spectrum of genres between. I work as session bass player too, playing different genres like soul, jazz, pop gives you a wider spectrum of musicianship. From time to time I record totally diffent styles, like old electronica, drum n bass. Sometimes even do remix, for few guys. As you can see I am not true LOL
10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Yeaaaaah, that’s THE question. I hope to take a look into more progressive or technical side of things, but still staying with raw, and harshness. It’s hard to say something for sure, because writing takes me around a week. It’s like get right moment, when I feel I need to do something with WorstGod. And then I do. For sure I can tell, that there’s no place for female voices, synth passages, and guitar masturbating. Other I can consider.
11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Shit man... I don’t know. I’m realy into second wave of black metal. But also old school death. Classical music also exists in the spectrum. Little of electronics. So, for sure some of them had influenced me. New Gorguts, and Portal. And from other side Darkthrone and older stuff. There’s to much genres and names to mention all of them. I don’t close music in musical cages. Only good music, and rest of shit. It something sounds fine for me, why not to listen? By the way, take a look at polish Blaze Of Perdition. They’re doing great work.
12.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
I don’t think so. Maybe someone can find some elements. Anyway, I am not a satanist, occultist, or other -ist at all. See myself as an atheist rather than part of organized beliefs. There’s no real god, so who needs satan? People should take responsibility for their own deeds, not to blame it on others, god or satan, or fucking hare krishna. That you are the one to live your life, not a guy in underground.
13.According to the Metal Archives page the band was originally from Poland but now lives in Ireland, what was the decision behind the move?
Yes. I was born in Poland, and live in Ireland for a couple of years. The reason was simply economics, here I have more possibilities, tax system is more flexible. I have a small business here, live with family, and visit Poland from time to time, and that’s good. It fully works for me. But WorstGod was made here, in Ireland, so I think, there’s a little mistake about it.
14.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Not so much. I am a learned musician, and almost everything goes around music. Sometimes I am a photographer, sometimes I make a music clip for friend, or something in Photoshop. I work with multimedia, so it’s kind of workaholism, but if I can work with what I love, what more to need? And privately, I am a father, husband, and angry motherfucker from time to time.
15.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Firstly, thank you for interview. You’re doing great work with your zine. Sorry for short answers, but what could tell you guy from a band with two EP and a demo. Stay evil, fuck god, and live your life in your direction. And support fucking underground. HAIL!

Bandcamp
Myspace
ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment